Friday 7 March 2008

Creating an SVN repostiory on OS X

I've been playing around with an SVN pre-commit hook for PHP_CodeSniffer that was submitted by Jack Bates. Part of that process required me to create a SVN repository for testing. While it was fairly easy overall, there were a few error messages that I got stuck on.

Firstly, creating the repository was dead simple:
$ create --fs-type fsfs /Users/Greg/TestSvnRepo

But then I couldn't checkout my repository. I'd get errors like:
$ svn co file:///Users/Greg/TestSvnRepo
Unable to open an ra_local session to URL
...
Expected version '3' of repository; found version '5'

Common suggestions on mailing lists point to svn not being compiled with ra_local support, which was not the problem in my case:
$ svn --version
svn, version 1.1.4 (r13838) compiled Jul 23 2006, 14:53:55
...
The following repository access (RA) modules are available:
* ra_dav : Module for accessing a repository via WebDAV (DeltaV) protocol.
- handles 'http' schema
- handles 'https' schema
* ra_local : Module for accessing a repository on local disk.
- handles 'file' schema
* ra_svn : Module for accessing a repository using the svn network protocol.
- handles 'svn' schema

I did find one useful article though. It mentions that different versions of svn software can cause problems. I believe this is more common when moving repositories between versions, or when connecting to a remote server, but in my case the problem was my version of svnadmin:
$ svnadmin --version
svnadmin, version 1.4.4 (r25188) compiled Sep 23 2007, 22:32:34

So my svnadmin utility is version 1.4.4 but the svn utility itself is 1.1.4. Adding the pre-1.4 command line argument suggested in the article worked a treat:
$ svnadmin create --fs-type fsfs --pre-1.4-compatible /Users/Greg/TestSvnRepo
$ svn co file:///Users/Greg/TestSvnRepo